Friday, September 30, 2005

worship...work...worship

Development of developing…

Once you get that “job”, the one that you enjoy, the one that actually is near your house, has no crazy commute, where you feel respected, paid fairly and enjoy your work, what happens then?????

Well, I think we should keep on developing, learning, getting challenged, enduring never stop and continue our path towards growth. Its funny, after 10 years in lawyer land, I have found a job that I really really like. Not love, nor is it perfect, but it fits, and it fits well.

Okay, so ideally I would be saving humanity or promoting global justice through my legal advice, not promoting the sale transactions of software for a multi-billion dollar company.

When I envision my “ideal” job, I find it is more directly connected to providing a “good” or betterment in this world. But you know what?  Bahá’í writings provide an interesting answer for my dilemma, (I can never be just plainly content, I’m too conflicted as my husband says, but I believe my conflict is driven by my quest for truth, another blog subject)

Work, when performed in a spirit of service is a form of worship. As explained by Shoghi Effendi,
“…Every individual, no matter how handicapped and limited he may be, is under the obligation of engaging in some work or profession, for work, especially when performed in the spirit of service, is according to Bahá'u'lláh a form of worship. It has not only a utilitarian purpose, but has a value in itself, because it draws us nearer to God, and enables us to better grasp His purpose for us in this world. It is obvious, therefore, that the inheritance of wealth cannot make anyone immune from daily work.”
So, applying the concept above, if I perform my work with a motive that is pure and connected to serving others, it is a form of worship because my work and what I do enables me to draw myself nearer to God’s actual purpose for me, Nishat…
Intense.
For the last 6 months I have approached my job differently than before. For one, I really do luckily enjoy the analysis required for evaluating how a license deal should be written, negotiated and finalized. I am learning about managing people, respecting their boundaries, truly accessing the tools of “consultation” so that they too have a valid voice that should be respected. I also am learning how to incorporate imagination, creativity and my natural energy into my daily tasks so that I in the whole sense become part of my job, not just my intellect.
So although it is not directly serving a cause that impacts humanity as a whole related to justice, equality and spiritual growth for the world, it is a place I can and will continue to explore, grow and be challenged. At least I know I am still developing some how, and until I do find that ideal cause to become the counselor to, I will enjoy this too.
Ciao…

No comments: