Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Times with family...and cool sounds



As I wind down from another hectic day, I reflect on my evening and happily take note of moments that make a typical evening... a really good night.

So today, like every Monday every week, my Mom was over taking care of and spending great quality time with Isabella and Alec. Usually she watches Alec during the day while taking Isabella out for a "night out" on the town in the evening for dinner. Bella prepares for her night all week realizing that a McDonalds/playland dinner or Applebees awaits her on Mondays when Mom (fondly named "Pumpkin" by Bella)arrive. If dinner is not on the agenda, sometimes she also plays in the playground and then takes a ride over at the local 7-11 for a special treat. Amazing how her memories and observations are being formed. Last weekend, for example Bella asked me whether I could, just once, take her to the special 7-11 where a special selection of chewing gum awaits. I replied that if and when we passed by it on a weekend, that I would take her and that it would be sometime soon. Her immediate reply: "Thank you Mom, Yeah!!!!!!!!"

So this Monday, after Pieter and I had dinner and chatted with Mom about the impending news regarding cousins and events, Mom and I sat down and chatted briefly before she departed to go home. So the 5 minutes became 10 minutes, became 20 and then all of a sudden we had already talked for about 2 hours. We talked about many things, family choices (including her own); new experiences; work events; Isabella's or Alec's newest habits; design choices in Mom's redecorating project for her house; and friends in general. We chatted about how 'Legos' have been keeping Bella and Alec busy or how Bella is so articulate about describing the summer deer/car accident that we were in.

Finally as the clock turned later, she had to drive back home and face a drive of about 2 hours (through the rain). I really didnt want her to leave...but since she had prior committments in the morning, she really had to go. I enjoyed the talk we had...

It was real.

I guess the cool thing about the "real" part is that she is more a friend in a funny unconditional sort of way that is hard to find in even the best friends we have. From a spiritual perpective, this is the kind of real stuff that lasts.

So right after she left, I reviewed a contract and made pencil markings for edits on a project I have working on for the past month. Sometimes reviewing my work AWAY from my PC is better. I get a different focus and am able to somehow see things with a clearer perspective.

Anyway, after my review of the contract, I had a great chat (2 for 2) with P. We chatted about work stuff, NDAs at tech expo's (for those of you who know what this means, great, who do not, move on...) Harriet M's issues with being confirmed or withdrawn and the recent legal blog activity around it...(thus far 9 Senators are looking to get her nomination withdrawn) and planning our weekend around kids, family and friends (start the list now, "pack & play, toys, snacks for car etc").

Before I forget, we were listening to NITIN SAWNEY's CD "Prophecy". It is a very nice, trance-like world fusion combination that I happily rediscovered this past weekend. (the cd jacket was mistakenly a SATIE jacket, not the right cover and hence the CD was forgotten for a while) Check his profile at BBC's site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/profiles/sawhney.shtml

His songs make you think...and his premise is very cool. True reality is not about the quick paced techno centric world we live in, instead, we are human...and human connections live on...(Spiritual Cafe go'ers, we will play his music at our next meeting on 11/5: readings will be based on the topic "Progressive Revelation" For any more information on that go to hillsboroughbahai.org and click on the DEVOTIONS tab)

Anyway, now the night is over, and sleep awaits. May you have a Bon nuit and a happier tomorrow...

No comments: