Sunday, July 16, 2006

Mirroring worlds


Here is a common Sunday afternoon, the fan blowing since the humidity has reached a real high point. I am viewing our verdant garden from our library, and things seem really nice.

Listening to Madeline Peyroux (very smooth stuff) and drinking raspberry seltzer with a splash of lime. Cool.

While I am sitting here though, I am wondering how the world is handling these recent implosions. Haifa was bombed, which is the World Administrative Center of the Bahai Faith, the place where close friends of ours live, visit and serve. But it doesnt stop there, North Korea talks are at a low point while the UN tries to muster enough objection to prevent a veto from China; 25% of all children need pills in summer camp (yup, check the NY times,kids at camps need pills for treating their ADD, psychiatric problems or mood disorders... this is our America folks); Beirut is being bombed extensively and for some it is payback, for others it is unjustified tactic; US & Moscow falter on their recent trade talks; oil is going up, pricier and yet another pinch on the global economy; and the world keeps on spinning.

In my little microcosm of a world, I had some nice news this week. It started while we visited Max and his family at their home, while Max is recuperating and living on the outside. It was great to see this little man, giving life a try and still pushing each moment through, with smiles, playing, watching "thomas the train" and extending friendship to Bella and Alec. I also spoke to Samira's family, adn heard that Samira's son Ellis is doing great and Samira is better, still grappling with her limitations but getting on okay. It is still miraculous that she is okay and I am so encouraged by her survival.

Oh yeah, I also got promoted from Area Counsel, Director to Vice President Senior Counsel. I really appreciate that part of my life, as I have great people to work with and I do believe that a part of me, the true me gets expressed through my work; both from the spirtual sense and creatively. I am thankful for that, and love the extra pennies it adds to our monthly purse strings.

But through this all, the world affects and worries me. How can I better be part of the solution, rather than add to the complaining, worrying and the do nothing folks? I need to think about it...

Until next time, peace, really.

No comments: