Sunday, October 01, 2006

Becoming Fruit

I have recently subscribed to Oprah Magazine, a magazine that has more content than advertising, at least it seems that way. It contains multi-generational/racial images that seem more positive and inspiring that most other "female" oriented magazines.

Anyway, inside are random poems, quotes etc. that sometimes strikes the perfect chord.

I will not die an unlived life.
I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire.
I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me,
to make me less afraid,
more accessible
to loosen my heart
until it becomes a wing,
a torch, a promise.
I choose to risk my significance,
to live so that which came to me as seed
goes to the next as blossom,
and that which came to me as blossom,
goes on as fruit.
---Dawna Markova

The woman who wrote this has a site called: smartwired.org it is a very smart website aimed to help each parent find the gems hidden in each child/which really relates the children's best qualities which are sometimes not always visible or apparent under our current educational system. I completely support this and actually Pieter and I are beginning to find new ways of spreading this notion to others in our community.

We started "fruit classes" a class that aims to help children find their noblest selves through games, stories and activities on virtue training. This was originally developed and based on RUHI 3, a book on spiritual education that was developed originally by a grassroots organization in Colombia (the country, not Ohio) but is now translated and used through out the world. Ruhi classes (so far there about 7 different themes) are based on a new type of learning, not by a standard "teacher-learner" model but rather a facilitated program provides a method so that each person can learn as you go, actively and organically with everyone involved. This is very cool when this is applied to children since they have amazing imagination, an untapped potential and great energy.

Bella already told me that she will be a MANGO in the fruit class. The "fruit class" name is based on thinking of a seed of a wonderful fruit and finding our true and best selves through these activities which will last every other week besides holidays etc. until May of next year (a total of 15 in all). We have invited Bella's friends and I hope that some of them will join us, share, learn and grow together so they can find what fruit they can become too.

No comments: