Saturday, November 11, 2006

Increased capacity during challenges


Recently, I have been traveling weekly to DC and work on several new responsibilities as my job has expanded as of October of this year. Apart from being Area Counsel to the "Mid-Atlantic" area of the US consisting of 8 states, lots of dollars and contracts to negotiate, the area is now twice the size and include responsibility for the legal management of the"Federal" area of the business, and all that it implies.

This new area is not completely foreign to me, since I worked in a heavily regulated area before going to my current job, and I was used to the government cultures which is starkly different from the commercial arena, with laws, regulations and public policy issues laden in every action, contract and issue.

When I took over this area, I was not sure what to expect; and even hesitant to dive deeply in the waters of the surrounding issues encompassing this Federal area. However, with utter support and confidence by my colleagues, some how I did not or have not yet drowned. Instead, I am making progress, trying to advise on improvements and almost feel strangely at ease. I do not believe however that this confidence or calm is stemming from me. Instead, I believe firmly that I am getting a lot of assistance from prayer, meditation, humility and trust in something way beyond me.

In a wonderful book by Dr. Youness Afroukhteh, called Memories of Nine Years in Akka, there are many inspiring words which come from the recently translated work by the author's memoirs who served Abdu'l Baha (son of Baha'u'llah founder of Bahai Faith) as his secretary and interpreter from 1900-1909. There was a point when the author was guided to change his profession from banking to medicine; at an age of mid 30's when he was sure it was going to be an impossible feat; and highly unlikely that he would succeed. However, through prayer, advice and consultation within own self-reflection; as well pearls of wisdom from Abdu'l Baha, he completed his studies and accomplished this difficult task.

One concept that was held close to his heart while attempting the new studies, was based on how to access assistance and Divine confirmation. Reciting the advice by Abdu'l Baha directly:

"In any and all endeavors, divine confirmation is wholly dependent on action. Persevere, so that the hosts of divine bounty may assist you"; "The hosts of divine blessing are poised behind this very window waiting for you to act. If you do not enter the arena of service, of what use are the hosts of heavenly confirmation? If the commander of the army remains idle and passive, how can the army achieve victory?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very nice blog, iam indonesian
may i be your friend?
iam ideralamz@yahoo.com