Sunday, April 01, 2007

Namesake the reality

I am looking forward to seeing the film "Namesake" next Friday with my sister and our husbands where we will watch a film that will probably remind us what it was like to be growing up in a Pakistani type household in suburban America. Many kids of my generation (1st generation American's of parents from somewhere else) experience the duality of living in one culture; but having roots to another very different foreign lifestyle; one where bringing the roots (parental culture) into ones own (American kid culture) daily life is daunting and not always welcomed.

As a girl who was not a White American (should White be capitalized i wonder?) I was often questioning why I was given such a difficult task; of not already fitting in or feeling like one of the crowd. At least that lasted until high school when we moved from a small suburb of Buffalo NY to NJ. NJ is different on SO MANY levels that the culture shock of what priorities existed overshadowed my insecurity of what I looked like. Big hair and cliques aside, I sought any retreat from the group culture as essential to my survival; and instead found contentment in seeking to be different and to be friends with many rather than few (also the same time when I was introduced to the Baha'i Faith and its worldwide, non prejudiced perspective became utterly refreshing).

Anyway, years later; as law school, career, motherhood, more career and grass roots in human interest govern my life; I find that the differences in each of us should be treasured since the human canvas is stunning with the varying hues of personalities, cultures, beliefs and ideas that merge into a larger human family. I realize that now; and when I look back to see my shyness or hesitancy in sharing my "roots" with anyone; I realize I could have taken a different perspective and maybe even appreciate what my parents shared with me with more value, respect and honor.

Lessons learned. Maybe once I see the film it will reiterate just that.

1 comment:

GWD said...

With your permission I would like to excerpt from this post on my blog Baha'i Views.