Monday, March 09, 2009

From winter to spring

As the snow melted over this weekend, and the weather went from chilly 17 degrees to a warm 60 practically overnight, I was reminded of a few fun things we did over the last few months, and how time flies right by from winter into spring.

1) Bella and Alec found a cocooned caterpillar and built a lovely stick-leaf-rock-grass house so when it emerges the Butterfly will be greeted with a welcome.

2) As a Baha'i, the celebration of Ayyam-i-Ha takes place prior to the 19 days of fasting (which is currently underway). For this year's holiday, apart from the fun presents that Pieter and I gave to Alec and Bella, I presented a lesson to Bella's 2nd grade classroom on what it means to be a Baha'i; and how we celebrate this time of year. It was fun and I was amazed at how many kids could really understand that the concept of unity of religion, and that there are always religious teachers over time. They each even read a few quotes from various writings of Buddha, Islam, Judaism, Christianity and Baha'i.

3) Thanks to a really nice work appreciation award, our family was invited to go to Puerto Rico for 4 days, and I saw the most beautiful sunset I have ever seen (see above). Since there were about 7 pools to choose from, we had our choices of slides, lazy rivers and swimming adventures. Isabella commented that after sliding down crazy long water slides, that it was the best day of her whole life. We also heard a bit more salsa music than we probably ever wanted, but it was a really nice experience (Alec's fevers and non-stop vomiting during 2 nights was the only bummer).

4) I went ice-skating on a home made ice rink that my husband rigged in our back patio. It was actually amazing fun. This was especially because Pieter, who can ice-skate circles around me (literally) held my hand and guided me as I slowly learned how to glide. Plus, Isabella is visibly a great potential figure skater in the making.

5) Determined to not give up my gardening skills all together--I am currently re-assessing my veggie garden skills and will attempt to plant leeks-broccolis-tomatoes, lettuce (the arugula kind) and onions despite my fears, hesitation and suspicion that the deer, bunnies and squirrel are waiting for me to plant their upcoming dinners.

6) I am currently in a book-study circle using the Ruhi Collaborative Book series. As part of the Baha'i outreach efforts, there is a great cycle of books where a few friends decide to engage on studying Baha'i writings together and learn how to apply spiritual principles to your daily life; whether as a student, mother, worker etc. One of the coolest things that happened over this past winter is that I was part of a group that completed Book 1 (Reflections of Life of the Spirit) with 2 of my good friends. We are now embarking on completing Book 4 (the Twin Manifestations) which describes in great story-telling ways how the Baha'i Faith began. There is nothing more intriguing or inspiring that seeing a friend unaware of certain ideas, discover practical answers to life's big questions. I am psyched and excited about this, and hope to reveal more later in the coming months.

In any event, I will post more soon, and will have some cool news to share about the SOUL PANCAKE!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful to visit your site again. Keep it up!
Looking forward to see Debbie return home. Got a text message yesterday that she visited the temple (in Chicago I presume) !