Monday, November 07, 2005

where does this all take us?



In the past few weeks, I've been noticing that as time goes by, a lot of bad stuff can happen at the same time that we are learning, struggling and growing in our crazy hectic lives. But I have to believe that it is meant to take us on a journey as long as we are willing to learn, question and ask the right questions. Some negative stuff that has happened:
1) my step father is on his way to an important trip, packed, ready to go, & then at the airport, finds out his booking was made for a month later rather than on the actual day he had to go...he then books another flight the following morning and misses the gate by 5 minutes...
2) a friend's son is on his way to his first camping trip, ready to finally check out the outdoors with his buddies etc, and then jumped over a rock the wrong way and broke his leg...
3) a very close woman-friend had to say goodbye to a close man friend, not because she didnt want to be with him, but because he was not right for her path...
4) A dear friend celebrated his birthday in a different land working for free for a whole year in Service for others, teaching children classes, teaching the Faith and on his birthday he found out he was robbed...in his house!
5) My friend at work had to attend a funeral of a baby who was stillborn after the mother was 10 days late with her delivery due date but her doctors said "not to worry"...
6) The Pakistani disaster earthquake has left 70,000 people killed, more than the Tsunami and yet not a lot of people seem to think about it, my cousin -in-law is trying to get wheelchairs and ambulance equipment to the area most devastated, but can't because the villages on the way along the path toward his destination end up needing the wheelchairs so badly, they end up taking his stuff and he has nothing left in his journey to take to the disaster areas...
7) Paris is burning...

So many events have occured, that I have either been a witness to or been told about only in the past week. Frequently, my thoughts turn to seeking contentment despite how bad things get...but I am sometimes so frustrated that the world is functioning in such a disabled process, unable to fix its own misery and while so many are dying, suffering and cold. As some of my earlier posts indicate, I am aware of what happens in the world and I am hopeful that maybe others can see a pattern around us and get a discontent that arises within them to seek a change. What is the message?

Last Saturday we had a Spiritual Cafe (another inspiring one) about Progressive Revelation. A cool subject about how all the Messengers of God do come from the same source, all proclaiming the same message in differing scope depending on man's maturity and progressive development. After reviewing the selections, it occured to me that humanity has each time a messenger has been sent down (if one believes that) mankind has swiftly turned away, continued on their path and persecuted the messenger...

Once again, we are standing at an important juncture, one that could alter mankind's path in a very good way. For those of you who know, I am a Bahai. I have been since college, when I asked myself the 'Why' in life...and found truth, in a big way, more than I ever expected. It is a provocative Faith, since the Prophet Founder Baha'u'llah ushers in a whole new age for mankind, one of unity, harmony and social justice, a sort of light at the end of every dark tunnel. While the light is there however, much work needs to be done. So much work, that I think everyone could help. I only wish that others could see the same purpose, the same light, the same truth so we have others helping creating this just society.

The 1st step?? Well, in the Baha'i Faith, Baha'u'llah does not ask for blind followers but rather the curious, open minded, thoughtful and critical mind. Once they are open, I would suggest for everyone to investigate, read any writing of Baha'u'llah, study his life. Why was he here on this planet, what is his message and what does it mean for each person today?

For those who take up the quest...enjoy. I have plenty of links to sources of information, although a quick beginning can be launched through our local Hillsborough Bahai site, (www.hillsboroughbahai.org) for more international related stuff go to links on the right under "international sites". For anyone else, I hope the tunnel gets more light...soon.

:-)

1 comment:

Leif Nabil said...

I can't figure out how it makes me feel, but I appreciate what you're writing.