Sunday, April 30, 2006

Discovery...



Alec turned 2 nine days ago. He is a cutie pie who lights up my life with every funny glance, sad look, demanding sounds and when he says "Hooo hoooo" whenever he sees a train. He is on a path of discovery with everything, and it is incredible to witness it. Every bird, dog, plane, big truck excites him and he just follows them, even says hello, and good bye (I try not to worry when he pets little dogs, and big dogs...)

I hope his discovery will never end.

I am currently thinking a lot of about discovery, and self-knowledge. By coicidence, or maybe by design, this coming Saturday Pieter and I will host another "Spiritual Cafe" and the theme will be independent investigation of truth.

As preparation for the Spiritual Cafe meeting, I came up with a few questions that popped up in my mind as content rich for the discovery question.

How much of life have you chose, how much is chosen for you?

What does it mean to see truth independently?

Do you think about your actions?

Have you found your reason for living?

How many people have researched the religion they were "born" in, instead of just being without knowing?

Is your life your own, or is it mirroring someone else's dreams?

What is truth?

Have you ever searched for it?

Do you want to?

Should you?

How?

The last question is in my mind, as I have had a similar question-answer dialogue with someone very close to me, and it is a hard answer. If a person is willing to search and find their reason of being, what and how do they do it? Reading? Experiencing? Living?

Maybe just trying a bit each day and learning something new each day with an attitude of discovery is more important than the wisdom gained in the process.

Recently, I saw a clip on Oprah that was inspiring. A 98 year old man after a life of illeteracy finally decided to learn how to read. A ninety-eight year old man. Not 40, 55, or even 70 but 98. Wow. The phrase Your are never too old to learn, imprinted in my mind as a great example to tell anyone who is afraid to learn new things.

I guess this proves that we humans have a true capacity to learn, discover and gain new insights whether we are 2 or 98. Wonderful that this is an everlasting quest, as long as we want it (and believe it).

1 comment:

Leif Nabil said...

I always thought it a bit cliche to do this, but I must sincerely say...

Great post.

I will in NB from this morning to Wednesday morning.