Friday, September 22, 2006

Bella's little painting adventure

Bella was almost in trouble last Saturday morning. I got up and Bella was already downstairs. Usually she waits for us and plays computer games until Pieter and I slowly wake up. It is one of the only days we can kind of sleep in...till 8:30. (oh the days of waking up after 10...)

Anyway, I saw her come to my room and happily tell me that she had painted a flower and wanted to show it to me. I kind of brushed aside her statement since I thought that "painting" must be the wrong word she used, since she couldn't possibly know where the supplies are, how to make sure the paint would not spill and get all the prep she would need. Plus I was still waking up and trying to get my toothbrush and get Alec dressed at the same time.

After getting ready, she kept on pushing me to come down and see what she did. I was getting slightly worried. If she did actually PAINT, she would have definitely made a mess. Each time she does we go through a long process, finding some old newspaper, getting some water to wet the brush, opening some paints from the higher shelf in the closet, etc.

I came downstairs, saw her table and to my surprise, her desk was covered with paint stuff...not paint all over on the table as I would have suspected, but a neat pile of newspapers underneath some drawing paper, about 5 different types of paint open but not spilled, a small container of water to wet the brush, and a paint brush.

I was speechless, confused and almost angry. Part of me wanted to let her know that this was not acceptable behavior and that she KNEW she should have asked first. But the other part was amazed at her neatness, consideration and intelligence around creating her little masterpiece. Her picture speaks for itself.

I did remind her that next time, she should really ask us before she does this again. But I did thank her and tell her I was proud that she remembered all the steps all by herself, and that her flower was very beautiful.

Lets see what she comes up with tomorrow morning.

2 comments:

Big Iguana said...

Good for you Bella! I'm writing a petition to your mum, so that 1) you never again need permission to get up and paint in the mornings on your own - and 2) even if you make the occasional mess, it will be considered "the artist's expression'. I look forward to attending your first exhibition of painting - 'Art at Dawn'! Brava, bravissima!

Anonymous said...

totally agree with "Sham".
Why being angry? Don't kill her "creative impulsiveness".(is that the right word? Well. you know what I mean Nishat.)
It is a little bit like wanting to play the piano but people around you consider it as "noise".

I 'll sign Shams petition!