Friday, August 31, 2007

Moving forward



After arriving last night from my conference organizing in NY city, I was relieved, pretty exhausted and just ready to take my day off.

Its been thus far amazing.

Apart from being floored by Pieter's love and surprises on my birthday, (the collage of Paris posted on this blog was actual 24 by 36 and is now hanging in my kitchen; not to mention he framed 4 other paintings and prints and got me a TOM TOM gps system so I never get lost again)

This morning, among my presents laid out on our long dining room table, I also opened a present I bought a few months ago; but had since forgotten was here. It was intended for my office wall (soon to be new in October this year). It is a framed poem that touches me to the core, especially in light of how I was feeling earlier this week. I was reminded of how challenges bring us all where we need to be; to discover where we need to go and how to be.

To Walk where there is no path
To breath where there is no air
To see where there is no light
This is Faith.

To cry out in the silence
The silence of the night,
And hearing no echo, believe
And believe again and again
This is Faith.

To hold pebbles and see jewels
To raise sticks and see forests
To smile with weeping eyes
This is Faith

To say :'God, I believe' when others deny,
'I hear' where there is no answer
'I see' though naught is seen
This is Faith.

And the fierce love in the heart,
The savage love that cries
Hidden Thou art, yet there!
Veil thy face and mute thy tongue
Yet I see and hear Thee, Love,
Beat me down to the bare earth,
Yet I rise and love Thee, Love!
This is Faith.

-Ruhiyyih Khanum

2 comments:

Big Iguana said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Nish!
May this year be even more full of happy and exciting events for you and your beautiful family!
much love
SJ&A

gemsofoneness said...

the love you two share is a bright light for the world. the poem epitomizes how to live our lives. i appreciate who you are and how you are striving to be.