Friday, September 16, 2005

paris in the mind


So following my last "down time" blog entry, I have found some time to read some excerpts from a cool book called Paris Mind. It is a compilation of various authors through time who have written about Paris in a way that evokes emotion, inspiration, sadness or laughter. A real nice book. I can't help but be reminded of my time there. Some may ask me, yeah whats so cool about Paris?? Its hard to describe.

I guess the best part for me is that there is a kind of atmosphere that is created no matter where you go, an atmosphere, completely unlike an American setting. (One without a brightly lit diner or a crowded barbecue.) Instead, the atmosphere can be calm, sophisticated and very filled with nuances and subtlety that gets lost in our crazy world here in the East coast. When I was in Paris, or even in France generally, I could always find a cool cafe with chairs positioned to watch the energy of people around me, living their life, all while I am sipping a coffee or drinking an soda and discussing topics about the world at large. Paris calms my soul, it feels so familiar to me. It is not a foreign city, nor is it the familiar frenetic yet energizing pace of NY city . I guess combining the views, the air, the Seine, the artists, perfomers, and oh the creperie stands! All these layers add to the beauty Paris with a backdrop of history and culture resulting in a richness I have rarely found in other places.

The obvious other factor is the people. Oh we have heard the American view, the political suppositions about the french. Despite the feelings that people have, I think it is not based on truth and reality. Maybe partly, but there is more to the french character that requires a closer examination. Based on my own recollection, there is a genuine curiousity that is a central part of daily conversations, it is open and yet passionate. It does not reflect ambivalence or fear. I loved it and felt at home there. It created an opening to cultural understanding, relgious philosphy and knowledge in general that is inspiring and invigorating. I will never forget the constant curious questions I received about "what is Bahai??" "how can humanity become one in this present state??" "how do we really become unified through diversity when so many racial issues exist?"

I'll have to order another cafe, and wait until my next journey to experience it once again.
Alors, d'une façon ou d'une autre...

No comments: