Tuesday, December 20, 2005

sadness and love at the same time



I just finished reworking two legal contracts agreements and took a shower as I am all lawyered out and thought i should make some comments before my head hits the pillow. I heard some news today, something that really saddened me, and some wonderful news at the same time.

News 1: I heard from a long time friend/spiritual sister today. This woman entered my life back in 1985 when I started my 10th grade in my new high school in North Brunswick, NJ. She was in my English class, and was the only other woman of color that I could see. At the time, I was not a global citizen yet, only a child of experienced racism and prejudice struggling to find friends in this new school of new strange faces. I was seeking a friendly face who would "get" who I was despite teh fact that I was a new kid in town.

She became a great friend, confidant, fellow-undisciplined student (only at times, :)) and remains to this day, one of the closest souls that I can be happy to call my friend, without condition, without regard to circumstance, without regard to any changing winds that we may go through. She is solid. I am thrilled that we are back in touch and had to acknowledge to my blog readers that sometimes, getting back in touch with those people that we love or once loved is a good thing.

News 2: Its not fair that the innocent people have to still get unjustly treated... Mr. Dhabihu'llah Mahrami, a man with deep brown eyes and sensitive features revealing a gentle man was wrongly jailed in Iran in 1995 for the plain unfancy fact that he is a Bahai.

On Thursday, 15 December 2005, ten years later, despite the international outcry regarding a death sentence back in 1999 who's freedom and release was supported by many governments and the international press, died in his prison cell of unknown causes. This was from a report by the Bahai International Community.

"... His death comes amidst ominous signs that a new wave of persecutions of Baha'is has begun. This year so far, at least 59 Baha'is have been arrested, detained or imprisoned, a figure up sharply from the last several years...Mr. Mahrami is survived by his aged mother, his wife, his four children, and his grandchildren."

This news really saddens my heart. Although I can see that his death will not be in vain, it is just another example of stuff in this world that I wish, just wish would not have to happen, no matter the reasons, the benefits of the impact or any other purposes that may be shown to be relevant to this event in the future. He was 58, the same age as my Father when he died; and close to my husband's father we he passed. They were loved, free, and still dearly missed. How Mr. Mahrami's family must feel, not even saying goodbye, unable to communicate, and harshly aware of the dangers facing him everyday. May they find their solace, peace and contentment through their confusion, bewilderment and yearning. My prayers are with them.

So now I have revealed the sadness that I expereinced today, as well as the tenderness, closeness and goodness of a friendship. I am still feeling sad and happy at the same time, I guess its because my heart is deeply affected by both these events.

Plus, I am really tired, which I am sure impacts my clarity of mind...anyway, I do hope those reading this are free, full of love (or at least half full...) and can reach out to their friends too. It might make the unjust events that happen in this world, a little more bearable.

No comments: