Sunday, February 26, 2006

Ayyam-i-Ha

This year, Ayyam-i-Ha was celebrated at our home, with kids opening presents, attending a community (cluster wide) party, and going out to dinner with friends in Princeton. The event(s) were nice but still a beginning of a tradition which is undefined and still in its infancy. A few things I know for sure about the holiday:

1) It is a time for charity, gift giving and fellowship
2) It is a time of year to prepare for the Fast which will begin March 2 and end March 20
3) We should provide "good cheer" to our family, poor and the needy

So Pieter and I decided that the "gift" part should be commemorated with one gift per day, which we have been doing since we have been married (11 years now). With kids the celbration and gift giving is WAY more exciting. In some ways although we think we are starting a new tradition, it is a real one for our kids.

Isabella told all her school friends about Ayyam -i-Ha, not the purpose or anything but that it is a holiday of 4-5 days and that each day she will get a present! Her school mates did not believe such a thing could happen, NO WAY!!! they replied. In fact Bella was wondering why no one believed it, since she certainly knew about it...

Pieter & I were wondering, should we buy little presents for each child? Should we show the children in their class what the holiday is for? Not this year, we will start slow and hopefully one day we can organize a party, share it with all her friends and maybe even do a service project so they we can give something back to the community.

As far as preparation for this fast, I am incredibly nervous about it this year. My work is in the BUSIEST fiscal month year end and I will need to most likely work double time and more overtime than normal. I am unclear how I will survive without my cups of tea and coffee during the day. Hmmm, maybe I should eat a really healthy breakfast before sunrise and have a large cup of coffee to perhaps get me through the day? Well, it starts on March 2, I'll see.

I have been reading more about Fasting in the Bahai writings. Although I came from a background family that was Muslim, and am aware of fasting since I was little, I still know less than I should as it relates to the Bahai perspective. I read through writings of Abdul'Baha (son of Baha'u'llah Prophet founder of the Faith) and he describes in one of his replies to a question that Fasting has many wisdoms.

One of the new interesting things I read was that the Fast was experienced by each one of the Prophets of God, starting at least with Moses, then Jesus and Mohammed. Theirs lasted around 40 days. In fact, the early Christians used to fast as well but then it was later changed to lent type observances. Anyway, part of the point of the fasting (abstaining from food and drink from sunrise to sunset) is to endure similar experiences as the Prophets of God, those whom we follow or admire and come to love for their sacrifices. In addition, fasting is meant to give us an idea of what the poorer among us go through. That is humbling. Finally, it can be a catalyst to a spiritual awakening of man (or woman as the case may be.)

If I can do this in 2006, endure the experience of fasting, spiritually awaken myself better, and maybe pause at my work to reflect, engage to reach a different level, I would be better for it. And maybe I will not even miss my tea and coffees.

(By the way, Happy Ayyam-i-Ha to you!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

this comment is just a test

Anonymous said...

You have been blessed to be used as a test site again!!!

Anonymous said...

Imagine that what you're doing with the gift-a-day idea is how some very old traditions were started. Imagine in 100 years...

nishat said...

Thanks Maja and "kath" for your comments. Maja, you are SO forward looking, I hope you visit us soon again! :) Anyway, Day 1 of Fasting is complete and glad to report that it was not SO bad. Well, at times I was craving some serious coffee, but I broke the fast with some awesome Rittesport chocolate that Pieter Bought me (yumm)