Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Physical limitations


Today is March 7th I think. We had a great weekend, a wonderful Spiritual Cafe about faith and religion. It was another long night that lasted until about 1 AM. We had 12 people in all, and I felt really blessed at the end of it all wondering how lucky we are to hear from so many people and to dialogue about stuff that mattered.

This weekend, although special was also focused a bit on illness. I had a sinus infection, Isabella was coughing a lot, Alec seemed to be fine, but kept on drinking from Bella's water and made me worry about the consequence. Anyway it turns out that on Monday when we took Bella to the doctor, she has bronchitis. This is not a new thing, as she has had this many times before. I just wish it was less often. It seems since she was 6 days old, Pieter and I are holding on to our seats waiting for the next diagnosis, ear infections, small nasal passage, virus, bronchitis, roseola, even Coxsackie virus. I guess it isnt surprising that she tells me that she wants to be a doctor (and a lawyer, a baker, a singer and a writer...)

Oh yeah I watched the Academy Awards on Sunday. This has been my little tradition that my tolerant patient husband joins me in. He is really sweet to be there with me and to cheer when people get recognized for their acheivements. Anyway, Pieter and I were pretty psyched that "Crash" won. Most of the movies we generally miss in the theatre due to the kid/baby factor, but a few end up in our DVD player or even a movie theatre once every 6 months. Of the ones we did see we loved Crash and Syrianna, both of which were excellent; the actors were stellar, the story lines intense and the perspective they provided on current day society was refreshing, sad and piercing. Cool stuff.

Well, now 2 of us are on medication (myself and Bella thus far) and tonight I am taking care of Isabella and Alec. Isabella has vomited 7 or 8 times today already. My sweet Bella. Not much I can do except to just be there, hold away her hair while she resigns to her fate. This is the quietest time for her. She neither complains or cries. She just seems to accepts her fate in a contented manner. Well, actually to be more precise, she really does not understand WHY she has to be sick so much. The impact on her life is hitting her closer to home. My heart broke yesterday when I heard that she cried for about 30 minutes straight yesterday because she had to miss her very first swimming lesson. This was something she was looking forward to and counting the days for the past month (really).

Tonight I offered her a popsicle shaped like a crayon to hydrate her, and she said no. She is afraid of vomiting again. I'll let her rest, as she is watching Heffalump, OOPS NOW IT IS NINE TIMES a winnie the pooh movie.

Physcial limitations on a 5 year old. I cannot do much but wait, guide her and hopefully let her know its all right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw, poor kid! Hopefully she's building an immunity to some of this stuff. I was sick a lot as a kid, too. And then I also faked it a lot to get out of school.