Saturday, March 11, 2006

Alec's turn


So a quick update on the situation. Alec is now in the middle of his illness as well. Took him to the Doctor yesterday, (thank God we found the BEST pediatricians only 4 minutes away from our house; both of them have been our absolute savior the day after Alec was born...we were referred to them in the Princeton hospital after Alec was born). Anyway, Alec's doctor who is also Bella's saw the same symptoms, and got the same medication. Its funny though, because Alec gets HIGHLY annoyed when he is sick and just overall gets frustrated. The pic posted was taken this morning. He is not happy. Bella meanwhile is trying to find her sunshine again. Two kids, different styles.

By the way, I have also been sick due to my own sinus infection but have been very slow in recovery because of the sleepless nights. However, I am steering clear of self-pity. I tried it yesterday and not much helped. I took off from work sick (rarity) and through all the doctor visits, clean ups of the kid's accidents (Alec threw up 3 times, once at the Dr. once at the store, and once in the parking lot)I was resorting to a lot of feeling bad for myself. "How can I rest while these kids are sick?" "How is this fasting period any good for me when I have to eat to get better?" "I would love to go to NY city with Pieter and hang out in a cafe again..." The last thought is always present on my mind, during sickness or health.

Today I feel better, it is a sunny Saturday, the kids are slowly recuperating and I realize that my own pity feelings will not get me to feel better, in fact quite the opposite. So instead, I'll go slowly, moment by moment, enjoy a sip of coffee, and hopefully get some rest that I needed. Or at least sit outside a bit and get some vitamin D.

1 more thing, I guess at times, these limitations can still help us learn new things. I need to "reframe" this situation, see it differently and hopefully retain the contententment and even happiness for this weekend. I will end this rambling thought with a quote from Marcel Proust: "The real voyage of discovery consists not in making new landscapes but in having new eyes."

3 comments:

Leif Nabil said...

You've got mail.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever seen a kid look so miserably cute as Alec does in that picture...! I don't know whether to laugh or cry after I go "awww." I hope you ALL feel better soon.

Fair Trade 2.0 said...

I hope you all find your sunshine soon. Missing you and sending my love.

Bradley