Thursday, February 09, 2006

Reunion of the best kind

Last night I had an amazing experience. I am currently away on a business trip for CA, coordinating ways to improve our legal department in our region. Besides being very productive, I have had 2 great meetings that I will not soon forget.

The first was a lunch meeting with a fellow IP attorney who is also a Bahá'í brother and motivated in career and spirit to be in service to others. He is also very busy serving as an Auxiliary Board Member, and a senior lawyer for a telecommunications company and a family man... Cool and inspiring.

I was so happy to meet with him, to hear and identify ways that Bahai lawyers can push towards the cutting edge of the law...express and study concepts that have not yet been explored. Such as? The Bahá'í Perspective on Intellectual Property Ownership...Woah, totally wild and interesting possibilities. We were discussing ways to provide insight to a profession that typically may not view current issues through this new perspective. If we were for example to make service to humanity a priority, and the legal profession to assist in this process, how would laws and equity be best served?

Anyway, that was the 1st part of my great reunion. Did I mention I had lunch with him at a Thai restaurant having beef with basil and rice?? Nice.

After my meetings at work, I invited my close long time friend who is already mentioned in this blog (love and sadness at the same time entry). We had a blast. We met at the hotel I was staying at, chatted, laughed, giggled, reviewed the last 5 years identified how we grew, what we learned, that we both absolutely LOVE 24!! And, we saw part of the Grammies and had fun commenting on the rock masters of the day (U2 winning was an extra treat). My meeting with her was another huge unexpected reward of how friendships, as long as they can last (ours is 21 years now) can be everlasting warm blankets that we can cozy up to.

I think the element of friendship that is the hardest to sustain through the years is an unconditional type of acceptance, realizing that the person may have to go through difficult periods, enduring those periods with patience and then being there with open arms whenever the opportunity presents itself. and if not, waiting until it does. But wow, when it does, it can be awesome. Just awesome.

No comments: