Sunday, April 22, 2007

90 letter in 90 days

I watched Namesake as planned and I was very moved.

I forgot that as a child growing up in America fighting my parent's culture alongside my sister, that my parents had a very real struggle themselves. This film highlighted that view for me, with subtleties that sunk in in ways I never expected.

Seeing the transition of a young woman who lives in a fun-loving lifestyle, full of warmth, a close knit family, music, colors and warm weather as a backdrop, flies over to an unknown city (NY) but still considered a "better place" was a shock. The images of the departure from her family at the airport was a new idea to me; never had I even thought of the moment my parent's had left their home; and now I was dying to remember or find out and sense their feelings on the day they walked onto the plan towards a new life.

The arrival to a cold snowy NY seemed so barren despite the opportunities it promised. I wonder, whether the students/workers/families who travelled here ever realized that there was a huge cost to living in this lonely country. Yes, opportunities would be available; but was the overall long term return on investment truly understood? (For my Mom and Dad, I still don't know from their perspective that is.)

Amazing how so many immigrants decided to take the plunge, whether from India, Pakistan, China, Africa or from anywhere elsewhere, what a tough experience it must have been for them all.

Obviously, times have changed and the Internet, communications, phone calls or even skype are minutes away. But back then? None of this was easy, accessible or possible. I spoke to my step-Dad this weekend, and he told me when he studied in England, that he wrote 90 letters in 90 days because he missed his family. 90 letter in 90 days.

So as I reflect on this new understanding, I want to see the film again, but this time with my Mom in law who also experienced the "transition" experience. She moved from the Netherlands to New Zealand with her child and husband in the early 70's leaving her home presumably for always. She did eventually go back to Europe, as did my husband, but the journey back was not easy, nor was it as cozy as it was when they had left. The time was gone; and adjustment even back home was difficult.

Until now, I thought I had always understood her experience, since I too have moved from US to Europe; but again in this modern day, our days are easier than those before us.

So in short, I am pretty thankful that I watched the film; and even though not all of it was exactly relevant, parts will stay with me for a long time.

3 comments:

Phillipe Copeland said...

My wife has been trying to get me to watch this film. Could you tell me more about it. My appreciation of the immigrant experience has grown a great deal over the past 10 years.

nishat said...

Hi Phillipe,
The film tracks the journey of an Indian new bride who moves to the US to be with her groom in the 70's believing that the land of opportunities will be best for their children. However, they find that connecting with their culture; and with their son is not always easy or understood. Their son finally learns to connect after he suffers through a loss and as he tries to regain his lost identity; he finds that self-knowledge is never easy.

A good film to check out, so do drop a line if you do!!

Phillipe Copeland said...

Will do, to be honest though the next film I will probably see is Spider Man 3. Perhaps I could analyze the issues of identity in that one and it could be kind of a trade. Thanks for responding to my comment, it makes me feel good. Eventually I will see the Namesake, promise!